February 05, 2014

Please STOP with the Savasana photos...

I can’t help but feel unsettled every time I see a photo of a class in Savasana. As someone who has led somewhere around two hundred Savasanas, at the end of my classes or private sessions. A significant part of every Savasana that I have led is the overall sense of TRUST that my students have in me to hold the space for them during those final sweet moments of rest at the end of practice. The last thing I would ever imagine doing is taking a photograph of this raw, vulnerable state that everyone has surrendered into; during which are perhaps contemplating major decisions in their life, while their bodies rest. I find Savasana to be one of the most personal and unguarded poses in yoga, and I get extra protective of my classes during this portion of class. Almost as if I’m a mother duck cautiously watching over my sleeping ducklings.

When you think about the physical pose of Savasana (aka Corpse Pose), it is very similar to the way a person may fall asleep beside their significant other, at night. Only their significant other, and perhaps their parents when they were children, have ever truly witnessed them in this sort of unguarded and fully surrendered state. To be leading a studio full of students who may or may not know each other into this sort of position, just a few feet away from one another (if that!), takes a teacher with whole lot of compassion, confidence, consideration, and care.  

The reason I value Savasana as a sacred part of every yoga practice is because I myself have had countless energetic, spiritual, and wholehearted realizations during this particular posture. It wasn't during warrior 2 while channeling my inner goddess, and it wasn't in dancer pose while imagining I had the grace of a whimsical fairy. It was when my body was completely relaxed, without needing to think about where my knee was in relation to my ankle, or whether I was moving on the inhale or exhale. It was when I finally allowed myself to let go and just be exactly as I am, in Savasana. Guided carefully into this restful state by a nurturing teacher whose genuine intentions and suggestions of relaxation offered me space to be fully myself without needing to contort or adjust or focus. If it wasn't for these unaltered and precious Savasanas I had experienced, I may never have connected to my True Self in the way that I have on my yoga mat. I don't know that I would have gotten hooked on yoga, if it wasn't for Savasana at the end of each class... and it's safe to say that my entire life would be much much different, if that were the case.

In my opinion, there is a time and place for yoga photos… basically, the only time and place is when every person is fully aware that their photo is being taken and are able to choose if they want to be in it or not. Savasana is never an ideal time to ask your class "hey everyone, is it okay if I take your picture?" because there is a good chance that: a.) they are already in their own meditative state and can't hear you, b.) they don't want their picture taken but they are feeling too comfortable to move, or c.) they're too nervous to be the only person to say "no" and get up and leave. Remember the yama, Asteya, non-stealing? When I was first taught the yamas, my trainers emphasized that as a yoga teacher, you must consciously practice a form of Asteya during every class, that is being considerate of your students and their time. They took the time out of their schedule to take your class, and their class time includes the few minutes of rest at the end (Savasana) which are sometimes the only moments during the day that they get to relax without any kids, spouses, coworkers, bosses, friends, family members looking for them or interrupting them.

With that said: I urge yoga teachers to take these things into consideration, and reassess the purpose of the photo that you might be tempted to snap while your class lays in stillness. Every student in your class trusts you, they deserve the respect to be able to rest and let go in the safety of their yoga class. They have chosen YOUR class out of all of the others to attend, and it may even be their first yoga class ever. They might be finding peace in their Savasana. But, perhaps one day their Savasana is bringing up unpleasant thoughts, and then unknowingly, you photograph that moment and post it someplace public. Now that moment is visible in an image that they see and instantly remember those feelings, and additionally may even add feelings of shame or anxiety that others can now see this. That would really really suck.

So, if you’re a student of mine, be rest assured during our practices together that your Savasana, your relaxation, your vulnerability, your trust will not be photographed. It will never be seen by the world through social media. No one will wonder what you're thinking about or if you are dozing off. It will be a moment in your life that is just for you.

I am deeply grateful for those of you whom have chosen my class and my energy to share your entire practice with; from our first centering breath all the way through to Savasana.

With love & warmth <3
Namaste,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment