October 23, 2013

Feeling True Gratitude

Photo courtesy of Larry Stanley
I just posted the following tweet on my twitter account @blissfulauras:

"Tonight I am grateful for electricity! Many people in the world do not have the luxury of fully lit rooms at night."

After posting it, while sitting in my fully lit bedroom, typing away on my electricity-powered laptop, I received a spark of inspiration. I began to think about what gratitude is, how it feels, and what it expresses. Within 30-seconds, I got up and turned my light off. I lit some candles and sat in their dim light for a few minutes before deciding to write this post.

I sat in their flickering dance, imagining what sort of activities others around the world were partaking in at that very moment. Their surroundings swallowed by the darkness of the night, with their focus determined by the soft glowing flame held up by a column of wax.

This got me thinking about my initial post about having gratitude for electricity, and it made me wonder: can true gratitude be felt until we are without that which we are grateful for? Whether we choose to be without it, or are dealt the cards of not having it, a "lack of" something almost always enhances its truest appreciation and worth.

Until I experience life without access to electricity, will I ever truly appreciate what it brings to my life? I'm not really sure, but I plan on exploring this concept as often as I can, even if it is in a meditative or visualization through imagination practice.

YOUR MINDFULNESS PRACTICE:
If you're wondering about the depth of your own gratitude towards certain aspects, things, and people in your life, join me on this new exploration. The next time you acknowledge something of value in your life, take 3-5 minutes to sit quietly, close your eyes, and imagine how your life (or the lives of others) might be different without it. Without judgement, witness whatever feelings or emotions show up for you. Notice if anything changes in the way your body feels. Be open and observe any changes with your overall energy. Once you've completed this exercise, write down in a notebook any new perspectives or actions you'd like to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment