September 14, 2013

Autumn Winds & Opportunities

Warm summer breezes in New England are slowly turning into cool autumn winds. Tank tops and shorts, covered by sweatshirts and pants. My neighborhood trees have already announced that fall has arrived by scattering multicolored leaves on front lawns and sidewalks.

I've always loved this time of year. Apple picking, giant piles of leaves, pumpkins, and comfort food! If I were to explain what autumn is to someone who had never experienced this season in New England, I would share that it crisps the air and foliage outside, while simultaneously encouraging inner warmth through activities and meals.

Though I am in my late twenties, I still also associate the start of fall with learning and growth. When in school, the first few weeks always invited a new sense of personal identity and introduced interesting ideas that expanded my knowledge even further. Another grade higher, new teachers, classmates, books, lessons, and freshly sharpened pencils. The season of autumn is bursting with new opportunities to expand horizons, explore life in different ways, with fresh new perspectives.

This fall, I am jumping at opportunities left and right. Not just any opportunities, but the ones that particularly relate to where I choose to see myself being in five years -- in my career, in my relationships, and in my personal journey. I am spending this time to establish where I want my roots to sink in, around people with positive energy and intentions, and open my heart to face challenges that will help me accomplish my true wishes for myself. Affirmations, vision boards, and traveling will be accompanying me on this path, helping to keep me engaged and enthusiastic each day.


YOUR MINDFULNESS PRACTICE:
Find a part of your day when you can take 3-5 minutes for yourself. Turn your phone on silent, mute the TV, turn off your computer monitor. Sometimes escaping to the bathroom can be a great place to find a few minutes of quiet aloneness. Once you have made the time, take about five calming breaths with your eyes closed to help center your mind and body. Send your attention to the area around your heart (aka your heart-center), and with your focus sent inward, ask yourself the following:
Is there any way I can adjust or rearrange my scheduled responsibilities (work or other) for a day or a week this fall, to offer myself the gift of "me" time? Can I make time to care for myself? Can I offer myself time to open up to new opportunities that could bring me more happiness? More peace of mind? More money? More self love? 

No comments:

Post a Comment